The Royal Numismatic Society - Links
Founded in 1836
Link to RNS on Facebook
We are pleased to announce that the RNS now has a Facebook page.
There are many numismatic collections, societies and organisations around the world which maintain informative websites. Useful bibliographical information can also be found. The following links may be of interest.
(This page is still under construction.)
Museums with Numismatic collections
Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology, Oxford
- Bibliothèque Nationale de France
- British Museum, London
- Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge
- Geldmuseum, Utrecht, Netherlands
- Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg
- Hunterian Museum, Glasgow
- Israel Museum of Jerusalem
- Kunsthistoriches Museum, Vienna
- National Museum of Denmark
- National Museums and Galleries of Wales
- National Numismatic Museum, Athens
- Royal Mint Cabinet, Stockholm
- Staatlichen Museen zu Berlin
Further reading on numismatics and bibliographies
- Greek Numismatics As the compilers say this bibliography is not comprehensive - it is only 12 pages. Works are divided into 15 categories such as 'Co-operative coinages' and 'Coinage in Fiscal and Monetary Systems'.
- Seleucid Numismatics Not up-to-date (last up-dated 15 July 2005) but a useful list compiled by Oliver D. Hoover.
- Parthian Numismatics This will take you to a number of bibliographical tools on Parthian subjects in general, not just numismatics. The bibliographies seem to have been last updated in 2009 - the site owner has been working on the Sylloge of Parthian coins. This lists are searchable.
- Bibliography of Coinage of Julius Caesar Complied by Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia. In alphabetical order of author.
- Nabatean Bibliography A specialist, up-to-date, listing in alphabetical order by author, maintained by Vincent West.
- Axumite Bibliography Another specialist bibliography, arranged alphabetically by author, compiled by Vincent West. It includes sale catalogues.
- Byzantine Numismatics A list by category.
Medieval and Modern
Oriental and African
- Zeno Oriental Coins As well as an enormous collection of oriental coins the Zeno website shows and comments on books on the series. This is not a systematic bibliography but lists books which readers might not otherwise be aware of. It is updated by its members.
- Coins and History of Asia Tom Mallon-McCorgray's website has a very useful bibliography on oriental coins in addition to all the illustrations and information on the coins themselves.
- Jim Farr's Numismatic Bibliography This is a list, in alphabetical order by author, of a collector's (Jim Farr's) library of books, articles, reviews etc. on oriental and other numismatics. It is extensive (261 pages) and annotated.
- Vietnamese Numismatics Compiled by Francois Thierry. Not up-to-date (dated 14 January 2002).
- Survey of Numismatic Research covers all fields of numismatics. You can download a pdf of the 2002 to 2007 Survey of Numismatic Research. The Survey is published every five years by the International Numismatic Council in conjunction with the International Numismatic Congress (see link under 'Organisations' above for information about the next congress).
- Numismatic Literature covers all fields. It is published by the American Numismatic Society. Nos 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 and 149 are currently available from the ANS website. The issues are searchable by author and subject.
- Fitzwilliam Museum's Numismatic Periodicals An alphabetical list by title. Can be downloaded as a pdf, html and Word.
- Fitzwilliam Museum's Sale Catalogues You will find here a full and up-to-date listing of the museum's remarkable collection of auction sale catalogues and fixed price lists.
The Royal Numismatic Society | Registered Charity number 221850 | Department of Coins and Medals, British Museum, Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3DG | firstname.lastname@example.org