The Royal Numismatic Society - Medals and Prizes
Founded in 1836
The Gilljam Prize for Third-Century Numismatics
Thanks to the generosity of our Fellow Mr H.H. Gilljam, the Council is able to award a prize every two years for the book or article published in the previous three years which, in its view, represents the best contribution to the numismatics of the third century before the reform of Diocletian. Preference will be given to studies in the coinage of the Gallic and British Empires.
- The value of the prize will not be less than £400.
- The winner will be chosen at the March Council meeting from a short-list agreed at the January meeting.
- The prize will be presented at the Society's Annual General Meeting.
- The Council reserves the right to make no award, or a lesser award, if in its opinion no work of sufficient quality is nominated.
Past winners of the Gilljam Prize
- 1986 Edward M. Besly and Roger F. Bland (The Cunetio Treasure, London, 1983) and B. Schulte (Die Goldprägung der gallischen Kaiser, Sauerlaender, 1983)
- 1989 Roger F. Bland and Andrew M. Burnett (The Normanby Hoard and other Roman Coin Hoards, Coin Hoards from Roman Britain 8, London, 1988)
- 1991 Pierre Bastien (Monnaie et donativa au Bas-Empire, Wetteren, 1988)
- 1993 D. Schaad and F. Dieulafait (Le trésor d'Eauze, Toulouse, 1992)
- 1995 H. Huvelin (various articles)
- 1996 J. Lallemand, posthumously (general contribution) and S. Estiot (Ripostiglio della Venèra II.1 Aureliano, Rome, 1995)
- 1999 M. Weder (various articles)
- 2000 D. Gricourt (various articles)
- 2002 S. Estiot ('Le tyran Saturninus: le dossier numismatique' in Historiae Augustae Colloquium VIII, Bari, 2002)
- 2005 Michael Alram and Rike Gyselen (Sylloge Numorum Sasanidarum Paris-Berlin-Wien. Part I. Ardashir I.-Shapur I., Vienna, 2003)
- 2007 Edward Besly ('The Coinage of Allectus: evidence from the Rogiet hoard', in BNJ 2006)
- 2010 Richard Abdy (‘The Domitian coin from Chalgrove: a Gallic emperor returns to history’, in Antiquity 83, September 2009)
- 2011 Ann Johnston (Greek Imperial Denominations ca 200–275: a Study of Roman Provincial Bronze Coinages in Asia Minor, RNS SP 43, London, 2007)
- 2012 Daniel Gricourt and Dominique Hollard ('Les productions monetaires de Postume en 268-269 et celles de Lelian (269). Nouvelles propositions', NC 2010, pp. 129-204.)
The Royal Numismatic Society | Registered Charity number 221850 | Department of Coins and Medals, British Museum, Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3DG | firstname.lastname@example.org